With the recent version of Linux kernel (just a guess) you may discover that your Intel 825** network card (e1000e) is not working anymore and dmesg is displaying an annoying message like this:
e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver e1000e 0000:0x:00.0: The NVM Checksum Is Not Valid e1000e: probe of 0000:0y:00.0 failed with error -5
It seems that the nework adapter's EEPROM is broken. If the error is not fixed yet then, at the boot time, the card's EEPROM checksum will fail, and as a result of this you will get the above message.
Don't throw your card to the waste container, perhaps it's still working. Windows uses to ignore these kind of problems but Linux, being more rigorous, will check for such issues and will fail loading the device driver if card's NVM checksum is not valid.
How to fix it?
- make sure you remove the old Linux driver module corresponding to e1000e device
- download and install the latest driver available (for your device) at http://downloadcenter.intel.com
- download the "Intel Â® Ethernet Connections Boot Utility, Preboot images, and EFI Drivers" (the latest version from http://downloadcenter.intel.com)
- make sure that you extract/copy the BootUtil tool for your OS (I recommend the DOS/Linux version) into a botable floppy/USB
- boot your system from the floppy/usb drive then run "bootutil.exe -NIC=1 -DEFAULTCONFIG" (if DOS) or "./bootutil -NIC=1 -DEFAULTCONFIG" (if Linux, where arch=32/64)
The detailed steps you may find also Â here.
If everything works as expected then after reboot you should see something like this:
e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver e1000e 0000:00:19.0: setting latency timer to 64 e1000e 0000:00:19.0: Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode e1000e 0000:00:19.0: irq 47 for MSI/MSI-X e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth0: (PCI Express:2.5GT/s:Width x1) 00:24:81:18:88:88 e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth0: MAC: 8, PHY: 8, PBA No: FFFFFF-0FF
Now, if you think that this article was interesting don't forget to rate it. It shows me that you care and thus I will continue write about these things.