How much is 5 Â² ? How about 12 Â² ?
Well, if you have already finished the gymnasium then maybe you are already used to find the square for these numbers. But how about 104 Â² ?
I found another useful technique which helps you Â square any number in head (no need for pen and paper).
Let's take 104 Â² for example:
- add to our number the last digit(s) which are above 100 (I mean 104-100 = 4) : 4 + 104 = 108; so the first digits of our square are 108
- next find the square of the last digit(s) which are above 100 of that number: 4 Â² = 16
So the answer is: 104 Â² = 10816.
Let's try 112 Â²:
- note that we are working in base 100, because 112 is an x + 100.
- add to our number the last digits which are above 100 (I mean 112 - 100 = 12) : 12 + 112 = 124; so the first digits of our square are 124
- next find the square of the last digit(s) which are above 100 of that number: 12 Â²=144
So the answer is: 112 Â² = 12544.
Note that the 1 and the 4 above should be sum up (which is 5) because we can add to the end just 2 digits (our base 100 has only 2 zeros).
If the number we try to square is below the base (below 100) we use little bit the same technique with some minor differences.
Let's have 96 Â² for example:
- because 96 is below our base 100, we find how much our number needs to make 100; 96 - 100 = -4
- add that difference to our number: 96 -4 = 92, so we get the first two digits of our square
- next find the square of that number which is over/under base (in our case under base); this is -4 Â² = 16; so the last two digits of our square is 16
The answer is : 96 Â² = 9216
Note: although I've said it helps you to square any number in head I must emphasis that it is very important to choose the number to square in head nearest 100, otherwise this method is not efficient.
Now, if you think that this article was interesting don't forget to rate it. It shows me that you care and thus I will continue write about these things.
Latest posts by Eugen Mihailescu (see all)
- Gentoo AMD Ryzen stabilizator - April 29, 2018
- Symfony Compile Error Failed opening required Proxies - January 22, 2018
- Symfony authentication redirect after each request - January 22, 2018